Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hey! Ho! Let's Go! (It was on a button)

So tonight I got to chaperone the Irvine Stake dance. Apparently September is THE largest and most popular dance of the year. Lucky us! There were 850+ youth there and we checked about 192 bags which was INSANE. Here are my highlights and comments of the evening.

1.This was Chubs' first stake dance! I must say, he had quite a few young ladies scoping him out. Back off sisters he has 16 years before he's available! Cougars! (j/k)
2. It's so fun having your husband there too. Especially when you hear girls in the hallway saying the leader in the blue shirt is cute.
3. Central air conditioning is AMAZING. Nothing beats the freezing Relief Society room during a dance.
4. One water fountain is NOT enough.
5. Pink pants and a blue vest really do get the ladies.
6. Girls that wear flats and/or tennis shoes are smart. Breaking in a new pair of heels at a Stake dance... not so much.
7. 18 is TOO old for a Stake dance... especially when you go to the Singles Ward (ahem little brother!)
8. Kids who pop gum in their mouth even though you tell them no gum is allowed and lie saying it's a mint really don't get that you're NOT THAT STUPID.
9. Polite kids make you want to run up and hug their parents.
10. Rude ones make you want to smack them.
11. You should always dance with someone who gets up the courage to ask. Even if his shirt has flowers and his vest has polka dots.
12. Just because we check your bags for you doesn't mean that you have the right to be abusive. Taking your purse in and out 10 times is annoying to anyone.
13. There is something strange about hearing the Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, and Flo Rid A all in the same evening and at church.
14. I love how the kids rock out to Michael Jackson, Abba, MC Hammer, and Queen and half of them weren't even born when those songs came out.
15. I realized everything I need to watch out for when Pita and Chubs grow up.

Overall the night was a blast. I love being a youth leader. This dance was exactly where we wanted them to be.

7 say anything:

J-Dawg said...

Those are awesome insights and very humorous as well. You ALMOST made me want to be there too by your comments. Chubs was probably getting his groove on and learning early how to flirt with the ladies. Too bad Pita couldn't have been there too; then you could have counted it as FHE!!! :)

Haylie said...

It was really sad last night because I WAS SUPPOSED TO WATCH CORGAN, but Alex didn't even tell me he was going to watch her! And if he wanted some alone time, with Patty, I could have for sure taken care of Corgan and not have them watch her. I was crying so much last night. It was even worse because I didn't get to see Corgan!

Meredith said...

oh my gosh that was exactly what i needed to stroll down memory lane! cam's not here anymore to go to those for me, and he was never very good at explaining the details (although he's outgrown them anyhow)....

all i have to say is thank goodness some things never change! the boys who tried to make a name for themselves wearing ridiculous outfits, the gum popping, the purse grabbing (which, didn't it get annoying for the purse OWNER too?), the way the DJ wouldn't know which NEW songs to pick but did use the classics, etc.

in MY day there was always a guy there who looked like a blonde val kilmer, and elizabeth and i would ogle at him and now i seriously wonder what happened to him. not in an i-want-to-go-out-with-him way, just more in an i'm-curious-if-you're-working-in-vegas-as-a-val-kilmer-impersonator way.

Kim said...

Crazy, but I wish I could have been there. I miss those dances and those girls who needed to get their purses every 5 minutes. I bet I could name (or at least recognize) a couple of them. :)

The Mia Maids are super lucky to have you now as their leader. I'm sure they love you.

Emily said...

Hey Natalie! I love your blog and can I just say you are hilarious! Your kids are darling!! It sounds like you have had a great summer hitting the beach, lagoon, and D-land! The stake dance highlights were awesome.... oh to be back there... YMCA!

moshi said...

haha. stake dances. wow.... remember them days. the leader in the blue shirt was hot huh!!!

moshi said...

i love how hays comments. haha. this is rad.