So I've honestly never cared about voting until this year. Every year since I was able to, which is over a decade now, I would sit with my mom and dad and run down the list with a pen. What about 1? ok 2? ok 3? ok who for water? Mayor? President? Ok. Sign it off and the ballot was done with.
Even when this last caucus happened, because we had moved we didn't get our absentee ballots, I didn't even care. I was like, oh well one last thing to think about doing. What a terrible, un-American way to be.
Then this election happened and I started to care. I started to worry about my life, my family, my friends, and most of all my kids. I started to pay attention (not a lot, but more than usual) and I started to have my own opinion instead of my parents'.
This was the first year I sat down and read every proposition.
Obviously the hot one was "8". The one we could not escape, the one we could not go a day without hearing about, reading about, talking about, doing something about. This was so hard for me. I work in an industry surrounded with gay people- trained by a successful lesbian, my boss was gay, my assistants were gay, my teachers were gay. How could I not want to vote No? I was torn, scared to talk about it at work, scared to put the sticker on my car and park in the same lot. But I did it. Regardless of my fear, I made the calls, I spoke to my clients, and I spoke to them.
Then I was driving home from work one day and all four corners of the intersection were flooded with "Yes on 8" signs and people rallying for the cause. As I made my turn, I honked in support and my eyes began to well up. I started to cry. I knew that was His way of letting me know it was right. I don't think I've ever had confirmation like that.
So today I walked my ballot to the corner of Yale and dropped it off. I felt relief and apprehension as I turned it over to the volunteer. What will happen? What will we do if we lose? What will our country be like for Pita and Chubs the next few years? I guess we'll live it and find out.
If I did it, so can you. If you haven't already, get your butt out and vote.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Voting Day
this is your life Nat D at 8:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 say anything:
Dang - you look like a Bad A in that picture. Good for you!
I think we won,
Sad for me, Maddie's parents were voting for Obama and also voting "No" on prop 8
Great job on prop 8!!!!!!!!!!! I saw protesters complaining about “Mormon Money” Great job! It passed in two other states also. Love Pop
Way to be!! So proud to have you as part of my family! I'm proud of all of those who voted for it. I'm proud of the example California set this week!
Post a Comment