Monday, February 2, 2009

Another Ten Minute Adventure

Tonight I decided to make Shepherd's Pie for dinner tonight and I didn't have half and half so I thought I could use milk. But then I realized that I needed it for the meat mixture and the potatoes so I HAD to get some. So halfway through cooking I decided I needed to run and get some.


We have a Mini Mart on the corner by our house off of Trabuco. It's random and open all sorts of hours. I thought they should have half and half... don't most gas stations and places of that nature?

I loaded up Chubs in the stroller and Pita and I walked down our street, out the opening, and down Yale to Trabuco Plaza. 

Now in Irvine you never get a sense of foreboding but there's something weird and creepy about that center. The Vet clinic, a hair salon, travel agency, pizzeria and a church that will drop off juice to your door step to invite you to come worship on Sundays. So we rolled down the back which is not really an alley but a parking lot but nonetheless felt like a dark alley. Although the Porsche and Mercedes parked there would obviously be a clue that it could not be said dark alley.

We get into the Mart and it instantly feels like any second my childrens' life will be in danger. The look-over-your-shoulder-keep- your- kid and wallet next to you feel. I scan for Half and Half (which they do not have) amongst three different single tubs of sour cream and an assortment of plastic container pre made sandwiches and burritos. Ew. All I can think of is get out of here. Maybe it's the windows with the bars on it, the gangsta bandanas for sale (should you forget yours on your way out), the dull humming of the air conditioner, and the attendant singing "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna.  So I quickly drop 65 cents for Pita's Ring Pop and high tail it out of there as fast as I can. Thinking, should I check the Ring Pop for traces of drugs? No, no time there could be a drive by shooting at any time.

The whole way home we ran; looking over our shoulders for nothing. Not until we got home and saw B pull up did I feel ok. I know nothing happened, but be wary of creepy Mini Marts in affluent middle class communities. They just don't feel right. Needless to say, that's my last Mini Mart Adventure.

6 say anything:

WonG4mMo said...

how bout they only got 4 minutes to save the world?

Kim said...

Just driving by that center used to give me the creeps.

Anonymous said...

you're so wierd

Anonymous said...

It's those horror novels you are reading! Ha! Ha! They have you spooked! Well, at least a little more spooked than a dingy mini-mart would normally make anyone! La isla bonita is a happy song, I love that one!

SeeCilLove said...

Are you bagging on my childhood hangout. Elaine and I are offended because we used to rollerblade there.

One day I'm going to win the lottery by buying a ticket there and we'll show you!

Haylie said...

That is creepy!